Thursday, February 1, 2007

The Tub That Got Away

Sometimes its the bath you can't remember. My wife and I spent the first night of our honeymoon, 20 years ago, in one of the Colonial Houses in Williamsburg (see the post below). The Orlando Jones Kitchen is a gem, a small, two-story "summer kitchen," set in the garden behind, surprise, the Orlando Jones House (which is also a nice place to stay). The Kitchen has a sitting room with fireplace downstairs and a bedroom and bath above. Unfortunately, my new bride wrenched her back the day before the wedding. She was in tremendous pain and on serious drugs. Picture a bride, beautiful and beaming, being swept across the threshold by her adoring husband. Now replace that with a bride, eyes slightly glazed, being fireman-carried up the steep staircase and hoisted up onto what would otherwise have been a charmingly tall four-poster queen bed. I know there was a bathroom--must have been--but I'll be darned if I can recall it. If anyone out there has stayed in the Kitchen and can fill in this blank spot in my memory, sing out, please.

No comments: